Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Novelty's effect on Homesickness

     I think it is fair to say that the novelty of our situation is wearing off.  We are no worse nor better than we were only a week ago, but there is a sense that we are facing a routine that includes things we like and things we don't like, that gives us a sense of security that we know what will happen next and where to go for what we need, but that also forces us to face squarely the mundanity of life even on a trip in a culture as foreign as Sikkim.  The laundry needs to be done on Sunday, what a pain to wash clothes in the bathtub.  Homework has to get done, in fact I am not even making sure the girls keep up with the math they are supposed to do outside of school.  The tea is too sweet (they love their sugar here), but at least Budhamaya now makes eggs for the 2 kittens (yes, we now have another kitten) in the morning without my having to ask her to.
     I am ready to explore more of the countryside and the city, but the girls are reluctant to leave the comfort zone we have so painstakingly created at Chanbari House and at the local marketplace.  They love nothing better than to lounge around in their pajamas on the weekend, watching videos we have borrowed from the school DVD collection. To be fair, Grace played basketball last weekend and will do so again this coming Saturday.  And it is a bit of a logistical issue to go anywhere.  We don't have a car and driver at our disposal, nor would I want to drive a car if I had the option to.
     Finally, my homesickness is starting to set in.  Grace had it from two weeks before we left Beverly until the third or fourth day of school, when she became close to the girls in her grade. Corrina started about then and still struggles with it almost every day.  Calling Glenn in the morning, just as she is getting ready for school, has made a big difference there.  For me, I have fended off homesickness with the use of novelty, soaking up my surroundings and the new people to meet.  But now that we are in our routine, I find myself thinking of home and longing for it often.  I love the Fall in New England -- the Topsfield Fair, crisp days for apple picking, cold nights when we might light a fire, all the Jewish holidays that I had off!  I miss the pets, the comforts of our own home, the people who know me well who I don't have to explain myself to, literally or figuratively.
     We passed the quarter way mark for this leg of our adventure last week.  I know we can make it, but a quick trip home to recharge would be so sweet right now!

4 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie...here's where the stretching takes us...I am so glad you are sharing your missing home and all the routines of "home". Yes. Its all an important part of the Takse soup. I know you can cope very well with all of these challenges AND, not easy when you feel like you have to always be the cheerleader to keep the girls spirits up. I adore you and your honest reflections. Is there anything we can we do to soften the homesickness? OX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been both a subject (boarding school at age eight, shunted over to relatives in England at age nine when the Indian education I was experiencing was deemed inadequate) and an observer (four years of watching Waring ninth-graders deal with it in Angers) of homesickness, I have concluded that homesickness resembles depression in many respects. It does get better with time, and it does not need chemical intervention, but it FEELS like depression. For kids, especially, it feels as though it's going to be forever. It can seem to go away in moments of engagement in the present (a victory in a basketball game or a spelling bee - congratulations, Grace and Corrina!), but it's always there. However, those moments of engagement do become more frequent, personal attachments (to people, places, experiences, routines, animals, gorgeous views of mountains) do become more central to one's daily self, and thence, one's appreciation of the new experiences does grow, where before it may have been grudging and reluctant. And Chris, you ARE giving your girls a wonderful, valuable experience that will make them stronger, more open to that which is different, and more empathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the nice things about the Sikkim Sojourn blog is reading the responses from Yasmine, Shannon, others. Such love and empathy comes through in those comments. As Chris' mother, my heart is tugged by the hard times she and Grace and Corrina face. How wonderful that they have the support from old friends and fans of the blog.

      Delete
  3. Having "suffered" through homesickness during my years of living abroad, I can empathize with all you are feeling. WIth homesickness you realize the worth of all the things you hold dear and will appreciate them even more when you return. In some ways it makes life even richer since you will treasure all you hold dear. While I sefishly miss our morning meetings in your office I know you are making huge differences where you are. Stay strong, enjoy the adventure you and the girls are having, and we will all be here when you return!

    ReplyDelete