Friday, May 17, 2013

The Big Bed in Beverly

     We arrived back to our house in Beverly, MA, earlier this week while Glenn has stayed put in New York City.  It feels soothing and comforting to be here, a place where we have lived for 13 years. Yet there was an imprint made on us from living at Chanbari House for almost 9 months and the adjustment back to Beverly has been impacted by that impression.  Here is a good example:
     All while we lived in Sikkim, Corrina and I shared a big bed.  It was as much for comfort and closeness as it was for the warmth an extra body provided.  Grace, when she was living at the house, either slept across the hall or in the other bed in my bedroom.  Here in Beverly, we each have our own bedroom separated by floors and hallways that can make the rooms seem a distance away. Corrina never even bothered to move into her room.  Her bed is covered with junk, things that we would never have even considered purchasing in Sikkim -- how would you dispose of it when you were done? Grace did set up in her own room, but last night she wasn't feeling great.  She had a bad headache and seemed to be running a low-grade fever.  When she was getting ready to go to bed she asked me first if I would come up to shut off her light; then she came simply crawled into bed lying with her head at the foot of the bed.  Ella, our youngest dog, was already in the bed with me and Corrina.  The bed felt full, but it also felt right.  Grace promptly fell asleep and we all spent the night in the one big bed.  I liked having both girls close by, the house feels too big -- we rattle around in all of the space.
    I am afraid of forgetting my memories from Sikkim.  I have the photos to remind me, but there is so much more than visual images from a trip like the one we took.  There are emotions and sensibilities, ways of being that are triggered by one's surroundings that become sublimated when one leaves that environment. Every time I have a feeling that reminds me of something in Sikkim, I hold onto it as best I can because I thoroughly enjoyed the person I was and the way I lived in Sikkim. I am ready to count the days until I go back.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home! I haven't checked your blog in a while, but have thought of you at different points during this academic year.

    ReplyDelete