Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Our trip to Pelling

This last weekend I had the great pleasure of taking 5 Taktse girls (two of them were my own as well!) on a 3 day trip to West Sikkim.  The terrain there is similarly mountainous, but the vegetation was a bit more like home.  There was grass growing on the side of the road, many deciduous trees that were just starting to put out leaves -- it smelled like Spring there!  Pelling is about 35 miles from Gangtok as the crow flies, over 70 miles along the road and a 5 hour trip in the car -- slow driving along the a highway where almost any misjudged turn could send you over a cliff.
      The main purpose of the trip was to visit an old friend of mine, a Sikkimese man who had attending Waring School with me in the mid-eighties.  He returned to Sikkim in 1984, finished schooling and is now the Head of an elementary school for village children, many of whom have parents who cannot read. It was incredible to see someone who I hadn't seen in 30 years, I don't think that has ever happened to me before.  When we arrived at his house, he was waiting outside and we both looked at each other, scrutinizing each other's faces for some recognition of the young person we once knew.  I don't think that either of us saw much of that original face!
      Here are some photos of our trip, including a stop in Ravongla to visit a new monument the Sikkimese government just finished building -- Buddha Park. All of these photos are courtesy of Grace.
















 








2 comments:

  1. These photos really make me wish I was there for this adventure. I hope that all continues to be well in Sikkim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos have such a beautiful feel to them...the girls look so relaxed and excited to be on an adventure and the landscapes are just stunning. What a gift you've given us to keep this blog active despite your many responsibilities in Sikkim. I have so enjoyed sharing some of this adventure with you. OX
    PS-Have you seen the NYC photos on FB? The flowering trees are gorgeous! Can't wait to see you there soon!

    ReplyDelete